We are looking for an experienced Palliative Care Nurse with a Hospice or Hospital Background to take on the role of Specialist Nurse for Referrals and Discharges, primarily based in the Inpatient Unit of St Johns Hospice.
Their newly refurbished 17 bedded Inpatient Unit provides holistic patient and family centred care for people with life-limiting illnesses such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, motor neurone disease, respiratory disease and heart failure. Patients are admitted for a wide variety of reasons including assessment, symptom control, terminal care, rehabilitation, respite care and medical interventions from a wide catchment area of the following CCG’s of Central London, West London, Brent, Camden, and Islington.
You will have previously mentored staff and trained junior members of the team. You must be able to assist in the administrative side of the role, and have a good working knowledge of Word, Excel and be able to use database systems in addition you will require strong leadership skills.
- The post-holder will review and triage all referrals to St John’s Hospice Inpatient Unit in a timely manner and be the key communicator with both internal and external referrers
- The post-holder will act as a specialist resource for all health and social care professionals, patients and carers, liaising directly with referrers, relevant Palliative Care Teams and other relevant professionals, to ensure that the patient’s palliative care needs are met.
- Manage complex discharges of patients from St John’s Hospice Inpatient Unit that require coordination of a number of services externally and internally as well as comprehensive advanced assessments of patients that may include Continuing Care Assessments and Fast Track Applications
- To provide skilled leadership, support and guidance to the nursing and wider multi disciplinary teams, in relation to referrals and discharge planning and access to community palliative care services, in close conjunction with team leaders, working closely with the Hospice Director
- Act as DOLs lead for all Hospice Services
- A minimum of three years post qualification/registration experience in specialist nursing field, ideally palliative care
- Clinical experience at Senior Staff Nurse Band 6
- Experience working within the community or in a specialist discharge role
- Experience in facilitation, teaching, assessing, coaching
- Demonstrable leadership and influencing skills
- Demonstrates ability to place patient and family at the centre of care
- Ability to facilitate and support learning
- Demonstrates a desire to explore new ways of delivering services
- Excellent personal and communication skills
- Good facilitation, presentation, teaching and assessing skills
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Excellent role model
- Confident Decision Maker
At our organisation we are passionate about providing our employees with a supportive and engaging environment. As well as ongoing development and training, we offer our employees a wide range of benefits; from 27 days annual leave, generous private healthcare cover, contributory pension schemes – including a continuation of the NHS pension.
Working with us, all eligible employees receive;
- Competitive pay with progressive band structuring, as well as generous unsociable hours enhancements (if applicable)
- For employees joining us from the NHS, we can provide continuation of your NHS pension
- Contributory pension schemes to suit all pockets.
- Private healthcare cover of up to £20,000 per year
- 27 days annual leave
- Ongoing training and development programmes
- Discounts at local, national and online shops
- Interest-free season ticket loans
- Cycle to work loan scheme
- Employee “Service Excellence” recognition rewards